Saturday, January 31, 2015

bell hooks, "The Language of Power"

“The Language of Power” by bell hooks is one of the stories I have read in the topic language and power. Although there are many stories within the topic, I found that this book contains many interesting fact about language and its power.

One thing I found quite interesting is that when bell hooks states “I know that it is not the English language that hurts me, but what the oppressors do with it”. This particular sentence makes me think that before English language became worldwide, many people were oppressed, forced and exploited. The English language itself does not have anything to deal with colonization, or negative attitude seen during that time. I see that English language was just a tool which, perhaps unfortunately, was used by oppressors to force and enslave people; and hence, its positive values were overcome.  When being forced while living within a place containing various kinds of people, people had to struggle in order to live and communicate. Manipulating and mixing language is the only choice for slave because if you do not sacrifice, you will not be able to live and escape. This is relevant to another sentence by bell hooks “So, if you want to really hurt me, take badly about my language”.  I think that language is not only a tool used to communicate, but it also contains cultural and religion values, history, and most importantly identity. Changing or manipulating language means the deviation of your identity because your identity relies on it. Referring to her statement, talking badly about language can really hurt people because it means that your nation, identity and culture are insulted. Identity is what most people proud of, since it shows everything from fundamental. I think I have never seen people accept or agree when their language is insulted.


Another point I found interesting in this story is that enslaved African used and manipulated English to the language of resistance. It is surprising that changing some part of word would create significant impact on its meaning such as no one to nobody resulting in richer meaning. It shows that people can do everything in order to gain and acquire more power. Knowing language and having ability to speak creates a lot of power because they will be able communicate between slave. Even though the structure of language did not change, I see that making new word is a great idea. Nowadays, although we are not in the era of colonization, new words are made due to the change of society. Things have changed and created, which society has to keep the same pace with development. I come with my idea that changing language or adding words does not mean insult to the language anymore, since everything needs change.

No comments:

Post a Comment